About School Improvement
The Office of School Improvement supports and facilitates efforts in all schools to increase student achievement by providing quality teaching; assisting schools in developing, implementing, and monitoring school improvement plans; building the capacity of local schools to support effective leadership at all levels; and providing professional learning to design and support meaningful student work. In addition, the Office of School Improvement coordinates a statewide system of support for all Georgia schools and provides resources and intensive support for schools not making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).
Alternative Education Program
Program designed to provide some program flexibility at the local level for students in grades 6-12 who are more likely to succeed in a nontraditional setting. Learn More...
The Georgia Assessment of Performance on School Standards (GAPSS) Analysis is an onsite assessment of a school’s progress toward meeting the School Keys. The School Keys are Georgia’s standards for schools and describe what Georgia’s schools need to know, understand, and be able to do, in the same manner that the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS) describe what Georgia’s students need to know, understand, and be able to do. Learn More...
Governor’s Honors Program
The Governor's Honors Program handles the Governor’s Honors Program, the Georgia Scholars Program, and the United States Senate Youth Program. All are independent honors programs, with separate application processes, for high school students.
- Provides a statewide system of support and coordinates the work of the following agencies: Georgia Department of Education, Regional Educational Service Agencies (RESAs), Georgia Learning Resources System (GLRSs), Education Technology Centers (ETCs), the SACS/CASI Partnership, and college and university representatives to provide support for all Georgia schools through regional support and training.
- Coordinates the monthly meetings and work of the Regional Support Teams (RSTs) across the state to plan, implement, and monitor the work of the Statewide System of Support in providing direct services to schools based on identified areas of academic need.
- Provides a school improvement specialist in each Title I school at Needs Improvement Levels 1-13.
- Provides mandated and voluntary GAPSS reviews to Georgia schools.
- Coordinates support and conducts reviews of school systems in Needs Improvement status.
- Learn More...
- Provides leadership, technical assistance, resources, and consultative services to the Georgia education community in order to improve student learning through organizational development and professional learning (staff development).
- Professional Learning Unit Credits (PLUs)
- Application and Credit Program Approval (Comprehensive Plan for PLU Credit)
- Learn More...
Teacher and Leader Effectiveness
Teacher and Leader Effectiveness impacts student achievement by providing programs and resources to enhance teacher and leader effectiveness that include the following: Title II, Part A grant awards, CLASS Keys and Leader Keys evaluation systems. Learn More...